Everybody is talking about why you should take Garcinia Cambogia extract but the truth is GCE is not for everyone to take. We have received several queries regarding this and while we have covered some questions under our FAQ section we thought it will be best to write an article summarizing – who should not take the extract.
Who should not take Garcinia Cambogia extract
Since it was shown as a great weight loss supplement Garcinia Cambogia has become very popular and people across the globe are trying it to reduce their weight. There are so many brands which have come to market and with such competition sellers are concentrating more on ‘good aspects’ of the extract and mostly ignore precautions and associated issues.
Based on our research you should not take Garcinia Cambogia extract in these cases:
- You are below 18 years of age: Herbal supplements are not advised if your age is below 18 i.e. they are for adults only. In fact at this young age you can very well reduce your weight by exercising.
- You are pregnant / lactating mother: Pregnancy is one time where you have to extra cautious about your diet, medication and lifestyle. Even small mistake can have serious repercussions. Thus it is best advised that pregnant should avoid GCE. Even if they have to take it, it should ONLY be after consulting their doctor. Same is the case with lactating mother. What mother eats affects breastfeeding child, thus one need to be careful about supplements however safe they sound like.
- You are on medications: Herbal supplements including Garcinia Cambogia extract can interact with the medications you might be taking. This can lead to complications. Cases have been reported where GCE extract when taken with medications, such as atorvastatin calcium (Lipitor®)have led to increase in disorders such as rhabdomyolysis . Thus, if you are on medications consult your doctor before starting with GCE course.
- If you have low blood pressure or are a sugar patient: GCE extract is known to decrease blood pressure. While this may be a good news for people with high blood pressure it is for sure not good if you have low blood pressure problem. Thus one needs to be very careful if you are suffering from – diabetes and hypoglycemia. In such cases consult a doctor before you start your Garcinia Cambogia extract course. Even after getting a go ahead, it is best to keep monitoring your blood pressure and sugar levels regularly to detect any abnormalities in time.
- Alzheimer’s and dementia: People with these disorders should also avoid taking Garcinia Cambogia extract as it may affect brain functioning.
- You are allergic: While most garcinia cambogia extract brands claim that they are gluten, nut, dairy, fish and other common allergy causing substance free but this may not be true with all of them. So before you go ahead, maybe check the label. If no such info is given look for another brand.
Even if you do not have any of the above issues but after GCE you get headaches, nausea, abdomen / stomach pain then you should stop taking the extract right away. GCE may not suite all everybody’s body and it may also be possible that the extract you are taking is of poor quality. If problem persists consult your doctor immediately.
In the end..
So, if you fall under any of the above cases, please consult a doctor before you start taking Garcinia Cambogia extract. While the extract is herbal but it can still lead to side effects in certain cases. So be aware!